Monday, June 06, 2005

The Mountain Man

A few days ago, Levi and I were sitting at the table with Connor eating oatmeal. For lunch. That's right, lunch. Levi and I had done the "what do you want to eat, I'm not really hungry, but we should eat something," exchange, and came up with no options that were especially appealing. We decided that we would ask the wise two year old for his advice, and we were answered with a gleeful "Oatmeal!!" Levi and I looked at each other and shrugged. "Why not? As long as he'll eat it..." our glances said to one another.

Five minutes later we were seated at the table, the mid-day sun pouring in through the windows as we sat eating our lunch. Natural oatmeal with organic raisins in it, mixed with organic Rice Milk and sweetened just a bit by some pure Maple Syrup. Connor's choice for a great lunch. As we watched him happily digging in, I giggled and said, "At least it's healthy!" Levi grinned and asked, "How many kids would ask for oatmeal for lunch? I can see asking for Froot Loops... Has he ever had Froot Loops?" My spoon stopped in mid air and my mouth hung open. "No, " I said slowly, realizing he's never even seen a Froot Loop, "he never has."

Then I began to wonder about the whole "children are products of their environment" theory. Do healthy parents have healthy kids? By following sound nutrition principles, my children will hopefully be able to make healthy food choices for themselves. At the very least, they'll know what they should be eating. But where did all my thoughts on health and nutrition come from? Why is the "natural this and organic that" way of eating not as strange and foreign to me as it is to many other people? As I thought about the way I was raised, the pieces began to come together.

In addition to my mom making sure we ate all our veggies, everything we had on our plates had come from the garden, or from my grandparent's farm. Pretty healthy stuff. In fact, I hardly remember any of us being very sick when we were kids. One person in particular does stand out though, and not because he was around a whole lot, but because he was different.

When I was growing up, there was a friend of my fathers whom we affectionately referred to as "The Mountain Man." Much like the name suggests, this was no ordinary gentleman. He was a tall, gruff looking sort of man with a wild beard and dark eyes. Underneath the exterior, he was a gentle and kind soul. He was very smart, and always had the most interesting stories. I used to love going to his house, which was of course situated at the top of a hill. Inside it was warm and cozy, and always smelled good. Everything in the house looked hand made, every knick knack had a story. He had tons of books, on the floor in stacks, on shelves that went from the floor to the ceiling. He had food that I had never even heard of before. He wore a fur hat with ear flaps!!! Although he looked scary and intimidating (to a child, anyhow!) I thought he was the coolest.

It was with his guidance that my father began to instill in us the benefits of healthful eating. We had always eaten healthy, this was just a different way. We had a granola mix that I used to love to eat for breakfast. Natural vitamins were used to help clear up the beginnings of my teenage acne. Somehow along the way, all these things stayed with me. I prefer naturopathic remedies over traditional medicine. I prefer to feed my children foods that haven't been treated with chemicals. There's many different ways to do things right. My way isn't the only right way to do things, but it's the way that feels right for me.

All of this is just to say, that, yes, I truly do believe we are products of our environment. Children live what they learn from their parents. As if that's not enough incentive to be our best selves, I think there is more to it than that. Everyone we meet, no matter how briefly, has the ability to create an impression on us. We may never know the impression we make on our friend's children, our children's friends, or anybody else.

If I could talk to the Mountain Man today, I would ask him how he came to be the person he is. Then I'd settle in with a steaming mug of Chai tea. I'll bet it's an interesting story.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Amy,
I'm a "friend of a friend" of yours in Toronto. I really do love reading your posts. Your stories seem to come to life on the screen, I could almost picture the books scatterd everywhere... This mountain man sounds absolutely intriguing. No doubt, your father thought the same. I think it's wonderful that your son chooses to eat oatmeal. It says a lot about you and your partner as parents. Keep up the great writing. I look forward to reading more of your stories!

Anonymous said...

I like your story mommy! I wouldn't want to have oatmeal for lunch! I like the mountain man part. He sounds cool. I love you!

Anonymous said...

man mom how long is it going to till u right a book!!! like come on you could make one in one week.if yuor are getting comments from toronto if you made a book you would get 1,000,000,000,000 e-mails and you would the best auther in the worl.........well in canada at least.every blog could be a chapter for a book all im saying is rriiiiiiiiiiiggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhttttttt aaa bbbboooooooooooooookkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hooray for oatmeal!! But what's Chai tea?

Anonymous said...

I have never heard of this "mountain man" before. You learn something everyday, eh? I am glad we ... well you...are raising the kids to grow up healthy. If it were up to me it would be fries and hotdogs, not tofu and bean sprouts.

Anonymous said...

Paul Marcella still lives on the mountain. He hasn't aged a day in the last 30 years (since I've known him).
You, Levi and kids will see him this summer.
Love ya,
Dad.