Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Madeline

My daughter, Madeline, tiptoed into our room this morning as the sun was just peeking over the horizon. Giddy with delight, she whispered loudly, "Mommy! I'm eight!"
Smiling, I stared for an instant at this person who had once lived in my body. How beautiful she is, with her stunning blue eyes, long dark hair and porcelain skin. I was instantly reminded of the morning that she was born.
After a merciful two hours of labor, my wailing baby entered the world at a mere 6 lbs. 14 oz. I remember the doctor asking what name I had chosen for a girl. "Madeline" I had whispered, exhausted. I was unable to believe that I had the daughter I had so desperately wished for. "Well hello, Miss Madeline!" he said to her as he cleaned her up. "She's a dainty little lady!" he commented later as the nurse placed her on my chest.
After she was was safely in my arms, I gazed in awe at her tiny fingers and toes. A dainty little lady indeed! My heart was bursting with joy. I had a daughter!!
"Mommy! It's my birthday!" She whispered again, her eyes sparkling with excitement, returning my thoughts back to the present moment. I hugged her close to me. "Happy Birthday Sweetie!" I said into her hair. Connor, who had arrived in our bed only moments before Madeline did, was nestled between Levi and I. Poking his head up from his little nest of pillows, he said in his politest, grown up two year old voice, "Happy-day Maddie!" Giggling, she thanked him with a hug.
I want to savour every moment of her girlhood. Her contagious giggle could melt even the coldest of hearts, and her compassion for other people shows a maturity beyond her eight years. She is still very much a little girl though, and loves wearing pretty skirts to school, playing dress up with my shoes, and wants to decorate her room in pastel pinks and purples. I know that someday I will miss the days of pony-tails, barbie dolls and hysterical giggling over the word underwear. Until then, however, I will embrace the joys and challenges of parenting an eight year old girl. I will enjoy the fleeting years of her childhood with her. Just as she is learning from me, I am learning from her - about life, love, and family.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love reading your blogs. They are so beautifully written. You should write a book. Happy Birthday to your daughter!

Amy said...

Thank you so much!

Amy said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

I never thought that I would, but I too will someday miss the pony tails, and the insane laughter. Until then we will just be the family that we are, happy and healthy...most of the time!!

9:29 PM

Anonymous said...

i miss my miss maddie! I seem to be missiing out on so much here in in Halifax. Give her a big hug and kiss for me.
Lisa

Anonymous said...

hey amy.. man you use such descriptive words its crazy write a book i dare you!!!.. Happy b-day maddie weeeeee

Anonymous said...

I love your blog!! I cried reading "Madeline". I'm Lisa, a friend of Alissa's, and I'm expecing my first baby next Thursday. I also know "hubby-to-be", as I went out with his cousin, Matthew. You are an amazing writer!

Anonymous said...

Hey sister.

Really nice entry, I must admit. It is one of things that once you start reading you can't stop until you're done. Good job.


Also, I really need to start marking the birthdates of your kids down, I'm the worst uncle ever. :P

Amy said...

Wow - I really don't know what to say, except thank you for all your kind words!! For you parents-to-be, congratulations and best wishes. May you enjoy your journey into parenthood. It's an incredible experience!

Anonymous said...

Wow Amy...its Jayne(alissa's friend) on Madeline's b-day I was too reminsing about Taylor's birth...my labour began on the 19th and she was delivered on the 20th. You have said in this post everything that was in my heart that day(although i could not put it into to words)...I would have to agree with everyone whom says you should write a book...excellent post!