Monday, May 16, 2005

Thoughts about Thirty

It's finally happened... I've turned thirty. Does that seem old to you? The "30th Birthday" is a day that some people approach with a feeling of dread and apprehension, but I am ok with it.

I think this is an age where a lot of people like to reflect on their lives so far and measure their actual accomplishments to the dreams and hopes that they had for themselves when they were, say, twenty or so.
When I was 20, I had always thought that by age 30, I would have a wonderful husband, a bunch of great kids, a good paying job, a house and car of my own, and a dog. You know, that happily ever after you hear so much about. And then life happened...

There were certainly some large stumbling blocks along the way. Life didn't work out for me in the smooth, uncomplicated way that I had hoped it would. I've slowly learned to make adjustments, deal with and accept whatever life sent me. Somehow, through all the stormy seas and grey days, I have arrived at Thirty not far from where I had expected to be. I am starting my own business in two weeks. I am marrying my best friend in four months. I have three beautiful children, a great home, and even my car and dog are pretty ok. The waters are calmer. The sky holds the promise of sunny days ahead. I am happy to be here, at Thirty, where I finally feel safe and comfortable in my own life.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Again, "HAPPY DAY" as Connor would put it. Hope it's a good one for ya. I'm only two years behind you, so i'll ask you then how being 30 was. Love ya.

Anonymous said...

Yes, to add to Rina's comment. Happy Day to you! Being a friend of yours I have to say that even though life didn't happen exactly the way you imagined it, you still have done wonderfully for yourself. You are a very smart and talented woman who knows what she wants and has done everything in her power to get it. Your family is happy, you have a wonderful husband-to-be and you are an entrepreneur...that isn't spelled right..but anyway! Having known what you have gone through in the past I have to say that I am very proud to be called your friend. You have come so far, beaten the odds and have come out on top. So, happy birthday to you, Amy. You deserve it.

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday yet again, I hope you had a wonderful day. I love you very much!!

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BELATED DAY! Hope you had a good one...even tho you were in bed by 9:30. You animal you. Is that what happens when you get old? ;)

(j/k of course...luvs ya!)

Amy said...

Thanks guys! I had a great day, had a yummy lunch with a fabulous friend, and ended my day with an evening walk on the beach, collecting shells with my daughter. Thanks to all of you who called with your birthday wishes, too. It means a lot!

Amy said...

Hey Tanya!
Yep! Goin' to bed early is definitely an old lady thing! HAHA! Your turn is next tho!! The whole going to bed early thing is such a treat!!! ( I know you know all about that! Sleep, yummy sleep!!!) Love ya too!