Monday, June 12, 2006

Lost and Found


LOST:
One snuggly little boy, blonde with blue eyes, who likes to give his mama big smooches and hugs. Could normally be found making towers out of lego, pushing little dinky cars around on the floor and clinging to his mama's leg if she tried to walk out the door.


FOUND:
One pre-teenage boy, blonde with blue eyes, who is leaving his mama soon to hang out with his Army Cadet buddies in Northern New Brunswick. He will be going to CFB Gagetown for two weeks this July for training camp. This handsome young man was discovered at a recent graduation in which he was promoted in rank from Cadet to Trooper. He closely resembles the child in above picture, but could not be the same person as this young man is clearly on his way to becoming an adult, and the last time his mother looked, he was still a baby...

How does this happen? I mean, aren't they supposed to stay little for a while so we can enjoy them? I have been sobbing my eyes out for the last couple of days trying to figure out what has happened to my small babies. They are replaced by equally pleasant, enjoyable (by times) good citizens who closely resemble the babies they once were, but still... Is it selfish of me to want my babies back, even for a little while longer? I wish I could keep them like this...

During a very moving speech from the Captain to his Corp, I found myself misting up yet again. His words still echo in my mind; "Look deep within yourselves and give it all you've got... Always remember that you can achieve anything you set your mind to. I believe in you.... You have all made me very proud this past year." I looked over at Terran again, standing so proud in his uniform, and was startled to realize that one day soon, he will be an adult. Already he is becoming responsible, independent, and making plans for himself that have absolutely nothing to do with me. He still asks me about my opinion, but he is his own person now.
His Cadet Captain told me later that I have "a great young man there".

I already know that. I welcome this new young man into our family, he really is a good, kind person. I'm just not ready to let go of my baby yet.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Altough I have only known him for a few years, I was so proud to see him get promoted on Sunday. It is nice to finally see him take a serious interest in something and stick with it. The kiddies are all growing up so fast. I can still remember the first time I met Maddie. I think I scared the hell out of her. And I remember meeting Terran the day I helped you move out of the duplex. And of course the day I met Connor. All wiggley and purple. They are wonderful kids and everyday they surprise me with something new. Who knew that three people would have such a huge impact on my life. I sure didn't see it comin'!!

Tanya said...

aw... *snif* i remember when he was born. can't believe he's becoming a young man already.

(you look FABULOUS btw...)

Anonymous said...

I have that picture of Terr when he was young hanging on my wall. It's amazing how much he has changed since I met him when he was three. His dad and I are so proud of him and are looking forward to seeing all the other wonderfull things he can do. Just remind him that he might not think certain things are important, but every little thing that envolves him, is important to us!