Friday, June 30, 2006

Sleepless

"Pssst!! You awake?? I can't sleep!"

It's almost 5am and I'm awake again, reading blogs and finally attempting some of my own writing. I've been awake since 2:30am. Last night (or was it yesterday morning?) it was from about 3:30am until sometime after 5:30. The night before that, it was about the same. Noticing a pattern? It's been like this for about two weeks now. One morning I was frosting Brownies at 3am. This morning, after tidying up the bathroom at 4am, I'm here on the computer...

What is Up with that? Connor is sleeping all night, the other two kids sleep like logs, and Levi hasn't even been snoring lately, even though he's been putting in some long exhausting 14 hour days. I don't drink coffee or anything with caffeine, I don't eat a lot of sugary stuff before bed (or in general for that matter), and things are going pretty good on the homefront. My laundry has been caught up every day for a week and the house is actually staying pretty clean. I'm not sleeping my afternoons away, though by mid-afternoon I'm totally wiped from going on only a couple hours sleep. It's not too hot for sleeping, my bed is as cozy as ever, so I'm at a loss for an explanation.

I've tried herbal tea. I've tried visual relaxation. I've tried going to bed early. I've tried going to bed late. I get lots of fresh air and sunshine during the day. I'm active. I haven't watched TV before bed. I've tried writing down a list of things that might be bothering me. (I could only come up with three things, and they are all minor, this insomnia being one of them.) I can fall asleep, I just can't seem to stay asleep. Please help, dear readers! I need some suggestions!! I really don't want to resort to sleeping pills! What works for you when you can't sleep?

So since I can't sleep, I'll spill to you about what has been going on lately.

*We had our Field Trip to Orwell Corner last Friday. It was such a great time! I wrote about it and Blogger ate most of it when I tried to save it, so I have to try and re-write what was lost. I hope to have it posted some time this weekend.

*The kids have officially finished school. Tuesday was their last day, and they both passed. Madeline, who has been doing well all year, is now promoted to Grade 4. Terran, who's marks were um... shall we just say not great last term? He really made a tremendous effort and pulled his marks way up. I'm so proud of him, he worked hard last term and is now promoted to Grade 8.

*Connor is Officially Potty Trained!! He's been wearing "Big Kid Underwear" (Gerber cotton training pants, no plastic thankyouverymuch!) and hasn't needed a diaper at all! I still put one on him at Nap and Bedtime, but he always wakes up dry. He is very good at telling me when he needs to use the bathroom and even on our Field Trip (with all the excitement) he let me know and we would go to the bathroom, no accidents. Whoo Hoo!!

*Madeline left Wednesday to visit with her Grandparents and Auntie, who live about an hour and a half from here. She loves visiting them. I was talking with her last night before she went to bed, and she was just getting home from Bingo. She won $25.00! (I know, it's funny as hell!) She's also been to the beach. She informs me that she wants to stay for two weeks. Her vacation is off to a great start!

*Terran is sleeping out in the tent with two of his buddies. He's having his Annual Summer Vacation Kick-Off Party. (Two of the other boys couldn't make it.) They took his TV, DVD player and XBox or whatever it is out there along with a bunch of candy. They were playing Flashlight Tag around 11:30 or so, so I guess it still counts as camping out. It's 5:25 am now, so it's safe to assume that they fell asleep out there. Last year they were all back in the house by 2 am. He's going to be leaving me for a couple of days as well, he was invited to spend a few days with his friend at Brackley Beach.

*Levi's sister and her husband are coming home from New Brunswick tonight. Connor is pretty excited about it, and we haven't seen them since April. We're not sure what our plans are for Canada Day yet, but I'm sure we'll do something fun. Usually we go to Rustico on our friend's boat, spend the day there enjoying the festivities, and watch the fireworks. I'm not sure if we'll do that this year or not, we have a few other invites too. I'll leave you with one of my favorite images from two years ago as we sailed to Rustico on Canada Day. Looking at this makes me feel peaceful...


The sun is up over the horizon now and the birds have been serenading me for an hour, so I'm going to try and catch a few winks before my kitchen is filled with hungry boys once again. 'Night!

6 comments:

Tanya said...

hmmm...would it help if i came over and made soothing ocean sounds in the corner?

seriassly, i bought a bottle of stuff called Sleep Relax. Herbal Factors makes it. it says "for use as a sedative and for relief of restlessness and occasional insomnia due to overwork and fatigue". i like it...i don't use it every nite, but sometimes i do get overtired and just can't wind down enuf to sleep. i paid less than $10 for the bottle at http://www.canadianvitaminshop.com. but i bet you could get it at the health food store.

maybe your naturopath could suggest something similar? the capsules have valerian and skullcap in them...maybe they might work on their own?

Anonymous said...

I wish there was something I could do to help you sleep. All I can do is not snore!! Try smokin' some funny stuff; if nothing else you will at least have a good laugh and enjoy some munchies.

Tanya said...

ok, i like levi's suggestion better. screw the herb based vitamin thingies...just go for the HERB.

Unknown said...

OMG I went through that some weeks ago. The more I tried the less I slept, so my huby took me out dancing. I had a blast, got to forget about everything, things I didn't even know I was thinking about. And finally got some sleep.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry. I've dealt with insomnia for as long as I can remember, and it's not fun. Really not.

One thing that helps me is audiobooks. ONe of my blog commenters recommended it a few years ago when I was going through a bad sleeping patch and it works well for me. I load up a dry, non-entertaining, sciencey audiobook on my iPod and set the sleep timer for an hour. I'm almost always asleep before it turns off. When I'm not (for example, last night) I just set it for another hour. I get to lie in the dark, in my bed, with my eyes closed, while something distracts me from the relentless "why am I not sleeping? I'm tired. I need to sleep. I only have x hours before I have to wake up. Why am I awake?" that otherwise just makes it worse. And worst case scenario, if I still dont' sleep, at least I got to listen to a good book.

Anonymous said...

Tanya, you could come over and make any sound you want, as long as you leave your 'flu in Ottawa. Hope y'all are on the mend. My naturopath is on vacation for two weeks (always when I'm having a "crisis" it seems!) I'm gonna head into Ch'town one day this week and check out what the Root Cellar has.

Levi, if I remember forgetting anything, will you let me know? LOL! If this insomnia keeps up, YOU'LL be the one wanting the funny stuff! Thanks for not yelling at me to go to the couch or something stupid. I'd probably make you go there though, if the situation was reversed.

Sodi, welcome! I would LOVE for my hubby to take me out dancing - sadly, it's been a while! Before the baby (who's now three), we used to go out almost every weekend. It was a great stress release and I always slept soundly after a fun night of booty shakin'!

Andrea, that is SO ME!!! I have to agree, laying there wondering why I'm not sleeping and counting down the hours until I have to get up again really do make it worse. I really should give audiobooks a try. I've tried pretty much everything else without sleeping, maybe that will be the ticket to Dreamland. Keep the fingers crossed!