Thursday, October 16, 2008

Reno Post - The First of Many

One of the benefits to being married to a hot young carpenter is that I don't have to hire anyone to fix stuff up around here...
I just have to ask him. If I'm lucky and have been a good little wifey, the job usually gets done within a prompt five years.

Years.

The List is long. Very, very long.

See the little baby blanket on the arm of the couch? The baby who belongs to that blankie is now five and a half.

So after Five Long Years, we've finally embarked on the long awaited Bathroom Reno. *heavenly chorus sounds from above*

Umm, yeah. Anyways...

Here's our lovely Powder Room before the Reno...

Would you believe that this couldn't even win us the Ugly Bathroom Contest at a local building supply store?


How charming. This is what lurks behind cheap wood panel. Who puts wood panels in a shower anyways? *shudder*


It was a two man job getting the old cast iron tub out of the bathroom (thanks Keir!)...



and another ordeal getting the thing down the stairs and turned at the landing...

Ok, how are we gonna get this turned?
I don't know-it's your tub! I thought you had a plan!

out the back door and finally loaded onto the truck.

That's it! Nothing else! I'm on vacation, remember?

Painting the house is also on The List, scheduled for Spring 2009.

While I love, love, LOVE my new bathtub and shower...

my real, actual, It's-Finally-Not-A-Handheld Shower...

Good Morning Mr. Moen!

And I'm tickled that the toilet is no longer in front of the window...




I'm longing for a decent place to store our towels (and for decent towels)...

and I miss having a sink.
For now,we wash our hands in the tub and brush our teeth at the kitchen sink.

Could I please draw your attention away from the Sweet Boy Child making a smoothie and towards this yucky I- Don't-Even-Know-What-This-Black-Stuff-Is counter...
and now to this slightly nicer Tile-It-When-Hubby's-In-Alberta-And-Can't-Do-Anything-About-It countertop...
He tried to stop me over the phone, because I've never tiled anything before, but I think we had a bad connection or something. That guy gets nervous about weird stuff. It'll do until we reno the kitchen...it's on The List for 2013.

We still have quite a bit of work to do - building and installing the vanity, painting the walls and putting up wainscott and laying the new floor. The necessities are in place and working and it's beginning to come together. The ceiling is painted, the walls are primed, and we've got the trim up around the 3/4 wall between the toilet and shower. I couldn't wait to put up the new shower curtain - it hints at the color scheme we're planning...isn't it pretty?


This weekend we'll be painting the walls. Levi has been building the vanity in the evenings, and it looks beautiful already. I'm not sure when it'll be going in, but you can be sure I'll post it - make sure you check back in again soon for more updates!

Covered in drywall dust,
Amy

4 comments:

Tanya said...

I LOVE the look on Levi's face when they're trying to get the tub down the stairs...haha! I also love that you have documented the whole thing...nice to see you were doing your part! ;)

Looks good so far!!

Honest to blog said...

i can't wait till the sink is in!!!!!!!!!!!!i love the mr. moen shower!!!!(i think that we all do!:P)

great job!

maddie the great!!!!!!!

Amy said...

Hee hee! Wasn't that look priceless? I think it was the split second that panic started to set in - that maybe they weren't going to get it through there after all! Thank goodness for cell phone cameras!

Maddie, I can only guess how much you love Mr. Moen! Your shower times have doubled in length since we put it in there! Can't say I blame you though. At least you're not stinky anymore... :p (kidding!)

Anonymous said...

Amy, what a great job you all are doing. I love your kitchen sink! If you get rid of it during the reno in 2013 I might need to make a trip to Canada.